INTENTION TO LEASE A PORTION OF ERF R/1 THE MUNICIPAL LANDFILL SITE TO ENCOGENIX (PTY) LTD AND INALA ENERGY FOR A WASTE TYRE RECYCLING FACILITY
Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 21 (1) (a) of the Municipal Systems Act No. 32 of 2000 and, also in terms of Section 6(b) of the Municipal Asset Transfer Regulations as promulgated in the Statutory Notice No. 878 dated 22 August 2008, read together with the provisions of Section 14 (2) (a) and (b) of the Municipal Finance Management Act No. 56 of 2003 and Section 49 (2) (d) of the Newcastle Supply Chain Management Policy. The intention and the reasons to lease a Portion of Erf R/1 within the Municipal Landfill site to Encogenix (Pty) Ltd and Inala Energy for a waste tyre recycling facility on a long term basis as approved by Council at the meeting held on the 26th September 2019.
A portion of Erf R/1, measuring 2ha in extent to be leased to Encogenix (Pty) Ltd and Inala Energy on a long term lease of nine years (9) and eleven (11) months.
1 .The leased portion is situated on an unused section of the Landfill site and will not hamper operations of the landfill activities.
- That in terms of the waste hierachy recycling is the preferred option over disposal.
- The current Municipal Landfill site is nearing its full capacity and to divert some of the waste away from the
landfill site will prolong the lifespan of the existing landfill which also reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- The pyrolysis plant also has the capability of processing various grades of plastic which can be sourced from
the landfill site by the informal recyclers, thus extending the life span of the site.
- It should be noted that the landfill site is fast reaching the end of its design life and it is critical that any efforts
to divert waste for the landfill to be supported.
- It will generate much needed local employment as well as an income for the Municipality.
- Waste reductions forms part of the National Waste Management Strategy.
The public is hereby invited to comment to the Acting Municipal Manager on the said proposal and a copy of the Lease Agreement will be available for inspection in the office of the Strategic Executive Director: Development Planning and Human Settlements (Municipal Tower Block, 4th Floor), for a period of fourteen days during office hours, Monday to Friday from 07h30 to 16h00 until ……
ACTING MUNICIPAL MANAGER NEWCASTLE MUNICIPALITY